Monday, October 3, 2011

Sketch Challenge @ Authentique Paper

Let me first say that this Company has become one of my favorite's!!  I LOVE the feel of there paper!!  It's a heavy, almost cardstock, textured paper with gorgeous colors and patterns.  The die cuts to go with each collection is right up my alley and I love to create with them!!

This is the second month Authentique Paper is running a skecht challenge and a color combo challenge.  Last month I was in South African and couldn't play . . . but this month I couldn't wait for the sketch to be posted!  I've finished a layout but still has to work on my card!

Here is the sketch and my layout:




I've used mainly the Journey collection paper and die cuts for this layout.  Only the little words in the title is from the Blissful collection.  Alpha's from Jillebean soup and wooden florish from Kaiser Craft.  For the border I've cut 2" circles with my Cricut.

Since my journaling is on the back of my layout let me share with you the story behind it!  On our trip to South Africa in August, we went to Cape Town for 2 days.  During that time we made a trip to Robben Island.  Robben Island is famous for the reason that our former president, Mr Nelson Mandela, was held there captive for many, many years!  We met this man (I'm so sorry that I didn't right down his name) who spent 6 and a half years as a political prison here in the maxsimum prison on Robben Island.  He was our tour guide and shared very honestly and openly his story . . . Why he was in prison, prison life, the other prisoners, and life after Robben Island.  I was fortunate enought to spent some time with him and ask him some questions.  I was so impressed with his openness and his honesty!!  He tells his story like he lived it . . . not making any excuses for what he did or what he belief! One thing that truly impressed me about him, is that he tells his story of the struggle without BITTERNESS!!  He told us about the uglyness of prison life, but also about good things that happend there!!   He fought and sacraficed so much for something he truly believed in!  His story truly touched my heart!!

That's it for today!!  See ya' soon!!



2 comments:

  1. Simply beautiful layout. I love the circles. I also love how playful this layout is! Thanks for joining us.

    -Misty
    Authentique Design Team

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous! Love what you did with the circles!
    Thanks for playing along in Authentique Paper's Sketch Challenge!

    -Tifany
    http://inkblotsbytrd.blogspot.com/
    {Authentique Paper DT Coordinator}

    ReplyDelete