Thursday, June 17, 2010

Father's Day Wallet

Look at this wonderful idea I found on Canadian Nickel scrap'n-blog!!!








I immediately started to create this clever father's day gift for my husband and I was truly amazed at how easy is!!! Something like this, I thought, should take much longer to create!! But it was fast, easy and I only used one 12" x 12" piece of cardstock!! I used a textured cardstock just to give it a "leather" look!

You will start by cutting you paper in 6 stips:










For the biggest, or the outside
of the wallet - 9" x 3 1/2",
For the inside of the wallet - 8 1/2" x 3 1/4",
2 strips of 4 3/16" x 2" and
2 strips of 4 3/16" x 1".

You will need to score the 2 largest pieces for the wallet to help it bend easily.

Score the biggest piece at 4 7/16" and 4 9/16",
and the inside piece at 4 3/16".








After scoring, I used my distress ink pad and inked all the edges, I also distress the outside of the wallet quite severely to give it a "used" feeling.


I decided to stitch the outer edges of the wallet to make it more authentic!



I used my paper piercer and pierced the outer edges, and then stitched it with needle and threat. You can always use a sewing machine to do this. I decided not to use my machine because I wanted to add a masculine feeling. If you don't want to stitch, you can do the piercing and leave it at that, or you can do faux stitching with a pen, or even faux stitching with rub-ons, whatever works for you!

Now we can start to assembly our project!
Take the inside piece and glue 3 sides, then glue it to the outside piece of the wallet. Make sure that your score lines line up with one another to ensure a neat fold of the wallet!
Take 1 piece each of the smaller pieces of paper. On the smallest piece apply glue to ONLY 3 SIDES and glue it to the bigger piece. Repeat this step with the last 2 strips of paper you have left-over.


Glue the 2 smaller pieces to the inside of the wallet to make little tabs. We need the tabs to put family pictures, maybe a gift card or a little father's day card for Dad!
When glue-ing the smaller pieces to the inside, make sure that you have a little space in the middle of the wallet for easy bending! It you glue the tab piece to close to the inside the wallet will not close properly, make sure you allow enough space for this!!

You can now decorate the outside of the wallet in any way you like! I used a contrasting piece of cardboard and stamp on it, punched the edges and glued it to the front. I also repeated the stitching around the title!

I printed pictures of our children, laminated it and put it inside the little pockets.









We also made a small card to go along with the wallet. If you want to you can also give Dad some money instead of a present!









I hope I was able to explain this clearly to everyone! If not, let me know and I try and do it better! I really love the simplicity of this project, and it really is such a cute idea! In total it took me about 1 hour to complete the wallet! If you make one of these, please leave me a comment with a link to your project, I would LOVE to see what you come up with! I you want to have a look at the original post here is the link to Canadian Nickel Scrap'n blog: http://canadiannickelscrapn.blogspot.com/2010/05/video-episode-21-fathers-day-wallet.html.
While you visit with Nicole, be kind and leave her some love on her fab blog!!

Hope you have a awesome day!

No comments:

Post a Comment